Saturday, July 07, 2012

An internal combustion conundrum...

Ryuichi Sakamoto has a point, talk about hard times, and about the game being rigged...

I've been reading a blog of late where the folks are in the process of replacing their engine with a new one...

The word "expensive" kinda comes to mind but the whole enterprise also brings up a question... Why are so many people I know replacing their engines?

Back when I first started messing about with boats in the commercial sector, folks building new boats would take their old diesel engine out of their last boat because diesels sorta/kinda lasted forever.

Sort of a stark contrast to all of the re-engined scenarios I'm seeing these days. Just recently, a friend who has a charter boat had to buy yet another engine for his Catana and I'm pretty sure that brings his total up to something like five (and that's not including genset engines!). Now, I could sort of understand if the engines in question were badly maintained or worked over hard but most of the engine replacements I'm seeing or hearing about are well taken care of if not pampered.

So where does that leave us?

Anyway, it is a curious conundrum but not having an internal combustion engine myself on "So It Goes" it is simply a passing curiosity to muse upon...

Listening to Stoney LaRue

So it goes...