Thursday, December 15, 2011

The dread secret of electric propulsion...

Some timely advice for rich white guys, if this is a significant achievement we just may be doomed, and, on a cheerier note, the Girls Guide to Surviving the Apocalypse (always a good read) is doing a daily "Christmas Music for the Apocalypse"!

Several readers have asked why I no longer seem to write about electric propulsion...

Well, to be truthful, the subject has become somewhat boring and it's really hard to write about a boat system that works so well. Seriously, what's interesting about a simple system that simply sits there and works? Hell, I can't even bitch about the cost of a marine system if my only outgoing expense is the occasional bottle of water for the batteries...

It almost makes me wish I still had an internal combustion engine because then I'd have all sorts of blog fodder like chasing down expensive Racor filters, contaminated diesel, engine repairs in too tight places, transmission problems, changing oil, alternator problems, the high cost of marine mechanics... a pretty endless list and every problem on that list a potential blog post or rant!

Sigh...

Face it, my Electric Yacht drive simply works way too well to add any real drama to Boat Bits... I mean, how can my adding water to my 48V battery bank compete with a blog title like "Lost engine 100nm from La Paz"? or "Volvo MD2030D Heat Exchanger - oopsie" so why should I bother?

Now, for those who want to read about electric drives, there is an excellent series in the making over at Odda Sea on the whole electric propulsion thing where Daniel has not quite yet learned the dread secret of just how boring an electric drive can be...

Listening to Girls, Guns, and Glory

So it goes...