Sunday, March 23, 2014

An important question...

Now here's something to think about, interesting, and in the fair/balanced department...

Yesterday on Black Mountain Cycles (my favorite bike blog) they made an excellent point...

La Primavera, Milan-San Remo, is tomorrow.  In 1967, Eddy Merckx won the 288km race with a time of 6h 25m 40s for an average speed of 44.8kph.  That's an average speed of 27.8mph.  AVERAGE.  Over 179 miles.  On a steel bike with toeclips and straps, down tube friction shifters, 5 speed freewheel, wool shorts, and no power meter.  Only twice (1990 and 2006) has anyone had a higher average speed.
My question is what do you really need to ride your bike fast?  I mean really, really need.  Look at your bike and ask yourself "does that help me go faster?"  Then look in a mirror into your eyes.
Now, of course, he was talking about bicycles as opposed to sailboats but I think it's safe to point out that there has been a lot more development in bicycles and associated systems than there has been with sailboats and their systems over the last fifty years or so. Just my opinion but the analogy works for me...

So, what do you really truly need to go cruising?

Listening to the Jefferson Airplane

So it goes...