Saturday, March 22, 2014

cleaning out some lockers...

What happens when you follow the facts, Charles Doane on Gemini catamarans, and something fans of the Byrds will want to check out...

It's spring.

Time to go through lockers and clean out stuff that's not earning its keep...

For instance, a few years ago I bought a RotoZip and a bunch of accessories thinking it would be a great tool for boat projects. It is a really cool tool and has all sorts of potential but in truth, I've never really used it in anger always deferring to my router or jigsaw. Not a bad tool but it just does not get used...

Then there's the old circular saw that never gets used anymore since I bought a new one and its just taking up space and rusts...

Or the really cool tiny tabletop grinder I bought and only used once because it has the weakest motor that has ever been connected to a grinding or buffing wheel. So much so that it's totally useless...

Or those leftover bits and accessories taking up space for my Brownie's third lung which I no longer have...

Just a couple hours of sorting through stuff yesterday left me with a couple of dinghy loads of stuff that's adding to the strain on the water line, taking up space that could be better used, and slowing the boat down.

The thing is I hate throwing stuff away. Part of it is as soon as I've jettisoned something I have not used in a couple of years, Sod's Law will raise its ugly head and you'll find you actually need that small odd-shaped scrap of plywood or broken tool because it will be just the thing to sort out a problem on the boat (or someone else's). Plus it offends me to throw away something that may be of use to someone other than myself and, just maybe, get them out of a jam.

Just the same old same spring cleaning thoughts...

Listening to Judee Sill

So it goes...