Monday, December 03, 2012

On the other hand, epoxy can fill some pretty big gaps...

Someone's being naughty, about that free trade, and something important about a smelly little oily fish...

The hardest part of building or repairing boats for most people is the transferring of shapes from one place to another. There are any number of ways to do it (some cunning, some not so much) but what works best for me is to simply scribe and cut. Mainly I'm just way too lazy to build those lattice work patterns.

My two tools of choice are the "Perfect Butt" ( I wrote about the Perfect Butt a while back) and a compass. The reason I use both is sometimes one works better than the other and all in all, I'd say I use them about the same amount... I guess it's an either or kind of affair.


The problem is these days cheap compasses of the cheap stamped metal variety which used to be excellent for scribing purposes, you know the kind...


... are not quite as cheap as they used to be in the cost department but have become so cheap in the quality sense that they simply will drive you to distraction trying to transfer the hull curve to your bookshelf project. More expensive drafting compasses are actually even worse being designed for drafting and simply don't quite have what it takes for boat work.

Now this is exactly what I like to use...
... it's seriously beefy, the right size, has people-sized brass adjusting nuts and in an inspired bit of design smarts, an on-board pencil sharpener!

Listening to Mr Big

So it goes...