Sunday, December 02, 2012

How to make a good cheap boat...

Krugman makes the point again (you'd think someone would pay attention), a good point about a word, and something you may want to have some stern words with your member of Congress about...

The other day a reader wrote and asked about the Harken Battcar system which got me thinking about how silly expensive some boat stuff is after I had priced out what the Battcar system would have cost for the reader's boat.

Thinking (always a dangerous pastime) about the cost of said Battcars made me realize I could come very close to building a fully rigged mast for a junk or balance lugged rig for less than the Harken mast jewelery alone. I point this out because the real way to save money on a boat is not to buy or build a cheap boat but instead build or buy a simple boat that does not need a lot of expensive stuff to make it work...

“A designer knows, he has achieved, perfection not when, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I used this quote the other day but it really does bear repeating.

Listening to Heart

So it goes...