Wednesday, June 06, 2012

My next new ride...

Orlov on timing, regarding the subject of gridlock, some comparative lit, and the moral of the story...

Over the last few months I've been spending quite a lot of time looking at various kayaks as a secondary tender for "So It Goes"...

I actually wanted a real kayak as opposed to the sit on top sort because it's my rather jaded opinion that real kayaks should be capable of doing an Eskimo roll. Of course, the difficult part is finding such a beast that stows on a 34-foot sailboat. While there are any number of excellent fiberglass sea-kayaks for two paddlers, finding one that will work within the existing storage constraints is somewhat problematic.



Which is pretty much my thought process in deciding to get the Swing double kayak by Innova...

Like all things on boats it's a compromise... In a perfect world, I'd be looking for a longer (15 to 17 feet or so) rigid sea-kayak in either glass or a wood composite but none of those things will deflate and fit into a cockpit locker.

One of my goals in life is to have a boat without deck cargo...

As most of what I have planned for this boat involves fishing by myself or, when used as a tandem, exploring mangrove lagoons and suchlike, it fits the bill pretty much to a "T".

Listening to Elvis Costello

So it goes...