Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Not my dinghy and not my problem...

Robert Reich gets it right, over at Club Orlov they have something to say about the recovery, and is Tide the new "gold" standard?

Some years back, I came to my dinghy at a crowded dinghy dock and when I went to unlock it my key broke in the lock... Being an industrious person  with a Leatherman in my pocket, and not caring to swim home, I figured I'd simply cut the cable and tootle on home.

Now, this was still at a point in my life where I thought multi-tools were really cool but it quickly became apparent that a Leatherman is not the tool of choice if you want to steal a dinghy with 5/16 stainless wire holding to the dock...

When the dust settled I was bloody, tired, and over an hour had passed but I was victorious and now free of the 吸牛 locked cable and dock. This was when a thought occurred to me...

"Why has no one asked me why I'm sawing through this cable?"
Why indeed? I was at a busy dinghy dock and no small number of folks I did not know had passed me by while I was, apparently, stealing a dinghy. In fact, when I looked around there was a security guard not fifteen feet away who had sat through the entire process and had not so much as inquired what sort of mischief I was up to, so I asked him...
Me  "Just curious but why didn't you ask me what I was doing?
Security guy "Not my dinghy and not my problem".
Which kind of says it all.

Anyway I'd sort of forgotten about that till this morning when I read this about a guy stealing his own bike in very public places as an experiment...

Listening to Big D and the Kids Table

So it goes...