Wednesday, January 05, 2011

My next washing machine...

I've mentioned before that laundry tends to be the most problematic chore aboard a cruising boat. Every once in awhile someone comes up with a clever idea or prototype but they all seem to stay ideas and prototypes...

Yesterday, I read about, yet another, clever idea for a non-electric clothes washer and spinner... Color me excited... then I came to the part that said it was not available and was a concept rather that a I-can-buy-it-anytime-soon sort of thing or in the parlance of the day... VAPORWARE!


That said, it looks kind of cool but does not quite inspire confidence...  Then again it might do double duty as a rice cooker!

But it did get me thinking and since said concept is based on a salad spinner, why not simply buy a real heavy duty industrial manual salad spinner and have done with it? Stuff built for food service tends to be built to last, and as things go, at a little over a C-note, affordable. Especially if you factor in not having to hit $3.50 a load washing machines at the local laundry...
... Plus if you ever have the need for making Godzilla sized salads you're covered!