Monday, June 23, 2008

Musical Monday...

One of the most used systems on my boat has always been the stereo... You can geek speak all you want to about in mast furling systems (not ready for prime time) or internal combustion vs electric propulsion (Electric rocks) but if the boat don't got tunes does it really matter?

Way back when I taught skiing there was a guy who built custom personal stereo systems that you could wear while you ski. Something of a kludgy affair made out of a car stereo powered by a motor cycle battery and with big Koss headphones ...The damn thing weighed more than my skis but it did rock...and sometimes when I hear a certain song I find myself transported by memories of a day in deep powder doing linked telemark turns...

Of course now we have IPODs and they are just sort of perfect for life on a boat and no more fun and frolic with marine stereo curse of trying to get the mold out of your cassette tapes!

YUCK!

Doing the nightwatch is much less of a chore as you can choose a mix fo the watch kick up the volume and go to it. Personally I like to mix up the play lists with a short story or a podcast every now and again as it helps keep the alert level at full tilt boogie.



Speaking of music..There is much joy and jubilation in that one of our favorite albums that never seemed to have made it to CD in now not just vinyl! "Keynsham" by the sadly missed Bonzo Dog Band is now available on CD and MP3 Downloads....For any out there who might actually know about the Bonzos you may also be interested to know that "The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band 40th Anniversary DVD " seriously rocks and I'd like to think that Vivian Stanshall would find it all right and proper! Nightwatch #4 on my Ipod has "Tent" and "You Done My Brain In" and while not exactly sea chanteys they do have a certain Beach Boys meet Monty Python flavor which is spot on...