Saturday, May 22, 2021

It's old, it's beat, and it's for sale cheap...

Badtux getting it right, some good reasons to hang on to that mask, and in the "It's all about profit" department...

The other day I noticed a boat for sale in the local Craigslist.


Recognize it?

For those who don't here's a couple of hints...

  • It's a Bill Lapworth design
  • It's the first design that Jensen Marine built
  • It's the design Robin Lee Graham named "Dove" and chose for his circumnavigation.

I'm pretty sure all of you know by now but for those who don't it is a Cal 24 which Jensen Marine built 184 boats of the design from 1957 through 1965.


As it happens, some years back I had a couple of Boat Bits readers ask me if I knew of the whereabouts of Robin Lee Graham's Dove as they had heard that it wound up in the USVI and they were trying to chase it down. I asked around at the time and I heard from several sources that it indeed had wound up in America's Paradise but as to its actual whereabouts no one seemed to know if it was still around, sailed on to some other place, or become part of St Thomas landfill as a casualty of a hurricane.

Which is not to say that this particular Cal 24 is "Dove" but it could be...

Now, if it were not "H" season (I noticed this morning we already have our first named storm Ana) and I was not busy getting the boat ready to get the hell out of Dodge ASAP I'd be all over this boat doing a proper refit because well what better project could there be?

Most folks my age got into sailing/cruising because of of Robin Lee Grahams exploits aboard Dove and, for me at least, the CAL 34 embodies a whole lot more than just a cool sailboat design.

Listening to a whole bunch of Dylan cover albums

So it goes...