Thursday, September 25, 2014

Just a little fiscal common sense...

Some serious NRA ass-backwards thinking, some folks fighting the good fight, and how being number 1 is not always something to be proud of...

I'm in the process of adding two fifteen gallon water tanks in otherwise inaccessible places on the boat to supplement my super simple hose into a jerry can water system.

So, to keep things simple I needed to get a couple of y-valves. This being what I had in mind...


...and West had what I wanted. Well, at least I thought so until I checked out what a couple of them would cost.

So, what's a poor boy to do?

Well, as it happens, I needed to get some propane at the local hardware store so had the opportunity to peruse various plumbing stuff and found just the thing...

A two way hose adapter with dual shut offs in the garden center for about $2 each. The downside is I needed to add three 3/4" thread to 1/2" hose barbs for $1.99 each so the total damage was right around $16. They're tough, bombproof, and affordable... What's not to love?

Which, when all is said and done, that's about a $94 savings (more if you factor in the cost of having a pair of y valves shipped down to the Caribbean). I don't know about you but I can always use and extra $94 or so.

The only disadvantage I see is that dealing with four shutoff valves is slightly more complicated than two valves to deal with but nothing like a deal breaker and, once I stared thinking about it, having four separate shutoffs is actually advantageous in my installation. Something of a win/win as far as I can see.

Listening to the Wailin' Jennys

So it goes...