Sunday, July 14, 2013

What stuff costs...

Some seriously scary shit on the container front, let's not forget the twinkie factor, I'm sure there's a difference somewhere, and, oh yeah, news from Florida.

The other day I was looking at what stuff cost back when dinosaurs roamed Los Angeles. I was a freshman in college and a brand spanking NEW car would set you back less than $4000...

  • Honda Civic Hatchback: $2,250
  • Plymouth Duster 340: $2,822
  • Pontiac Firebird Formula: $3,276
  • Triumph TR6: $3,275
  • Chevrolet Camaro Z/28: $3,470
Granted, those were list prices and if you had cash money you'd drive off the lot for considerably less... Kind of brings a tear to my eye.

The thing is, a friend and I were discussing new self-steering gears. It occurred to me that there is something radically wrong when a new windvane, which represents a hundred dollars in materials and at most a days' minimum wage labor, costs more than my first new car...

Oh, by the way, here's to a happy Bastille Day (and a note to best make sure the Pastis is chilled).

Listening to Frank Zappa

So it goes...