Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's not just about the money...

Something well worth reading, more on fiscal folly, and a bill that needs your support...

Everyone seems to get the concept of buying an old boat and fixing it up to save money but few seem to grok the concept of just how enjoyable working on a boat can be.

Sure, there are any number of icky jobs to do on boats  but, from where I sit, most tasks involved are not just enjoyable but deeply satisfying...

Today, for instance, I get to frame in and laminate a good portion of my cockpit/transom hack and I'm really looking forward to it. Of course, I have to do a bit of sanding to start things off (not really a big fan of sanding fiberglass) but the rest of the day is just fun work and I can even listen to French radio while I do it (the internet being a wonderful thing)... All in all, a very pleasant way to spend the day.

Afterwards I can jump over the side to get the dust off and, I expect, a cold beer on the foredeck (the cockpit currently being  a disaster area/work in progress) to top it off...

Even better, tomorrow I get to do more!

Listening to Jo Jo Gunne

So it goes...