Friday, May 10, 2013

and just how long did it take for Odysseus to make his passage?

Some more of the same old same, you can never underestimate the "DUMB" factor, and a Simmons of interest...

I noticed that Jimmy Cornell has a new trans-Atlantic rally going called the Atlantic Odyssey with two crossings of the Atlantic west to east scheduled for the coming season.

Now, I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of cruising rallies and suchlike but I do really admire Jimmy Cornell's thought process in sorta/kinda getting people to pay him money to do something that people could do on their own without having to buy a ticket.

The fact is that before the ARC and such things existed, folks tended to cross and do all of the rally stuff all on their own. Every year folks would sail down to the Canaries to wait for a crossing window and interact with each other (Posse up), share knowledge (those who were clueless would interact with folks who could clue them in), and do the social thing (often spelled P-A-R-T-Y). All in all, a pretty excellent situation...

Jimmy Cornell was a lot smarter than the rest of us as he figured out how to get folks to pay him to do what they, more than likely, would have done anyway. Face it, the ARC really was a brilliant intuitive leap and I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit jealous because I did not come up with the idea myself.

Of course, now I'm older, much more curmudgeonly, and cheaper (if that's actually possible) so every year I find the idea of ticket required organized play dates for adults (with the added chance of getting T-boned at the rally start) not only something to not do but to avoid being anywhere near.

Just saying...

By the way, maybe it's just me, but having read my share of Greek mythology and Homer, anything with the word odyssey in the title smacks of prime territory for nautical superstition given the luck of Odysseus...

Listening to King Tuff

So it goes...