Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Who needs a table saw...

On supporting the troops after the fact, a good point, and how what we think helps doesn't...

Not having the kind of space I'd like to devote to tools on "So It Goes" means I am very susceptible to buying and trying out tools I would not even look at if I had a proper workshop space.

Space being the operative word.

For instance, since I don't have space for even a minimal table saw but from time to time I actually could use one, I'm always looking for more boat friendly and stowable products that would allow for functions I'd normally do with said table saw...

Over the years since I've taken to the use of Japanese hand saws, I no longer feel the need for a table saw where accurate cuts are required. Same can be said for dadoing as I pretty much now prefer using a router for that sort of thing... But, what I really miss a table saw for is ripping. Sure I have a rip guide for my circular saw but I've yet to find a stock ripping guide that actually works like I think it should and allows me the sort of accuracy, control, and safety I need.

Well, until now... Kreg makes a very cool rip guide for a circular saw called the Rip-Cut. I decided to buy it because even though I thought it looked somewhat clunky it might actually make ripping a little easier and if it did not it would make a nice straight edge. The added factor was it was cheap, about what a good straight edge costs, so I could afford to try it out with no real downside.


The verdict is that it really does work...


While mainly designed for ripping flat panel stock like plywood (and that's it's forte) it can rip a 2" X 4" with a lot more control, accuracy, and safety than the little rip guide that came with your circular saw.

Of course, it's not perfect and I'm sure it could be improved (I have a cunning plan or two) but it is now a permanent part of my tool bag and just may be the best $35 tool accessory on the boat...

Listening to Chris Isaak

So it goes...