Friday, March 08, 2013

Nights at anchor...

In the "what the frack" department, profoundly depressing, a gateway post to some interesting stuff, and Lefsetz on the passing of Alvin Lee...

The other day someone asked me how much I pay for marinas per month... and no, he wasn't joking but actually serious.

The answer was somewhat problematic because, at the time, I could not actually remember the last time we were in a marina berth. After some pondering I realized that the last time we slept in a marina was 1996 in Las Palmas before leaving the Canaries.

Since we're talking about things folks on boats pay for, maybe I should mention that the last time we picked up a mooring we had to pay for was in Virgin Gorda (a $25 ripoff if there ever was one) in 2005 and it was not a happy-making experience. As far as I'm concerned every new mooring in the BVI is just another reason to leave the BVI as a reserve, of sorts, for bumper boaters bareboat sailors where they can bump and drag to their heart's content unencumbered by folks (like myself) in a grumpy mood (who long ago quit being entertained by bareboat fear, loathing, and mayhem) to spoil their fun and frolic...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the point of this post is that you don't really need to stay in marinas if you don't care to and can get by just fine on the hook.

Listening to Joe Bonamassa

So it goes...