Friday, January 18, 2013

On the modern marine store...

A good point being made, bastards, and a plethora of mini-Simmons...

I don't know about you, but I've been detecting a slow withering of various marine stores' DIY sections... On the other hand, if you need a tow behind tube to power around the anchorage most chandlers have a mind boggling choice.

Lots and lots of useless high ticket/profit items but the things a cruiser really needs doesn't seem to justify shelf space in the modern marine store... Just a sign of the times I guess.

Then again, the price of needful stuff like epoxy, glass, and suchlike is so silly expensive that you really wouldn't want to buy there anyway...

Which, in a way, is kind of a good thing because you're forced to go to people who actually specialize in the product you need. For instance, when I call Raka they actually know about their products and can offer insights and advice that allows me to do a much better job. The icing on the cake is that you get the excellent service and better product choice at a cost that is much lower than you'd pay otherwise. Kind of a win/win to me!

Listening to Darrell Scott

So it goes...