Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On the subject that there's a good boat for just about anyone's budget...

Orlov talking sailboats, just one big "FOR SALE" sign, and central to any solution to our current economic problems...

I have a project I want to do which involves a small 24-30 foot sailboat in disrepair (landfill fodder), a pile of materials, a stopwatch, and a calculator. The exercise would be all about how quickly and cheaply one could turn it into a proper bluewater-capable cruising boat ready to sail off into the sunset/sunrise in something approaching comfort...

Of course, I'm not even sure readers of Boat Bits would even be interested in such a project and any articles, book, or videos it might spawn.

Anyway, in the process of research, I've been checking out Craiggers every day and keeping an eye out for deals. You know what? There are lots of very cheap and neglected boats just waiting for someone to fix them up and sail them away.

One of the problems I'm running into is that most of the boats I find for sale are in too good of condition to fulfill my landfill fodder requirement as most of the boats in the less than $1000 niche just need a little work to make them proper boats... Such is the boat buying landscape in this ugly economy.

Something to keep in mind...

Listening to Alan Doyle

So it goes...