Thursday, May 03, 2012

Some more notes on the shopping list...

Stephen King has something he wants you to think about, the marine industry should take note, and small wonder why beef may not be on the menu tomorrow...

Have any of the readers of Boat Bits actually seen or purchased the new "Cornell's Ocean Atlas: Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World" by Jimmy & Ivan Cornell? At nearly a hundred bucks, it's a lot of money to pay out sight unseen, and none of the reviews I've come across give a real review and take the "great must have resource" route without actually saying why...

I find this kind of frustrating. The thing is, I've got a full set of pilot charts and while I'd love a much better set of pilot charts, I'm pretty sure I don't need a new printing unless there is something more in the mix.

I'm not knocking Mr Cornell by the way, over the years he has produced a pretty impressive body of work so my inclination is to generally go with anything he has a hand in (well, excepting the ARC and the whole silliness that is cruising rallies). As it happens, I've actually worn out copies of "World Cruising Routes" and the "World Cruising Handbook" and that's saying a lot.

My ire is that the yachting press these days just doesn't seem to know how to review a book... If any yachting press minions are actually reading this rant here's a hint... Reviewing a book is not about copying the blurb on the dust jacket!

As long as we are on the subject of Mr Cornell, I also noticed that he has another book in the pipeline entitled "World Cruising Planner" which sounds interesting...

Listening to France Gall

So it goes...