Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A pastime that pays dividends...

Something well worth a read by E. L. Doctorow, "60 Minutes" was once the cutting edge of serious journalism but not so much these days, and something you should know about shrimp...

I've been meaning to get back into lure making mode here on "So It Goes" for a while...

I've always liked tying flies and making lures because it's relaxing, I get to use odd scraps of wood, and I can always use a few extra. It also helps me catch more fish as most of the lures available on the market are not really meant to be trolled at normal sailboat speeds.

Right now I have two big teak backing pads which, while no longer needful on the boat, should yield a few dozen lure sized blanks... Recycling rocks, does it not?

The excess output past my own personal needs becomes a reasonable trade good and something I can sell whenever I find myself at a nautical flea market or reasonable facsimile. Kind of a win/win situation.

For those looking for a good basic how-to on the subject you might want to check out "How To Make Fishing Lures" by Jonathon Roberts.

Listening to The Volunteers

So it goes...