Thursday, March 08, 2012

Some need/want verbage...

As a UC grad myself may I just point out that this is just seriously bugfuck crazy, more on that recovery, and in the Dude do you know where I can score some cold medicine department...

So it would seem that Apple has a new iPad and by all accounts it seriously rocks. Yesterday I checked out the new specs and was suitably impressed as it is obviously an improvement on the model it is going to replace...

I know for a fact that a couple of my friends have already put in orders for their new iPads because they possess that gene that tells them they have to have the newest/best for whatever it costs. I'm sure you have friends of a similar disposition, so you know what I'm talking about.

So, am I going to buy an iPad 3?

Well, when the iPad first came out I ran it through the "So It Goes" need/want calculator and while it had some merit it just did not show that it would earn it's keep aboard, same with the iPad 2. Doing the same with the iPad 3 it was almost a close run but still wound up as a cool toy but not a needful one.

I'm pretty sure there are a few enterprising geeks out there who will come up with some software to make the iPad a much more needful tool for a sailor and I can see any number of ways it could be used with the right programming/hardware additions to become seriously needful, but until it happens I'm not going to go the iPad route.

That said, as we need another e-reader aboard (our Kindle has been a great success) I'm going to order a Nook because they don't make my model of Kindle anymore (I don't want 3g). I'd also like to try the Nook out because we can root it and turn it into an android pad/tablet which would make it a lot more compact than our Asus tablet and handy as a stick it in a daypack computer for the yacht charter business...

Listening to The Isley Brothers

So it goes...