Monday, March 12, 2012

the 2 KB connection blues...

Lefsetz on Peter Bergman, something worth a re-read considering recent news from Afghanistan, and some seriously stupid shit...

Being on a boat in the Caribbean, we seldom have good, by stateside standards, internet connections. Which is not to say those providing that connection don't say that they provide "high speed internet". Trust me, it is seriously frustrating to be paying high end money for a very low end connection... Even more frustrating as we suspect they throttle their system  on Fridays when they leave for the weekend so weekends are even slower than the norm.

Anyway, the thing is downloading big files like TV shows or movies is simply not an option 99% of the the time so it's something of a pain when friends tell me there is this great little web series or some such I should watch. Just a quick example, but I saw that HBO had a new trailer for "Game of Thrones". It took me nearly two hours to download so I could watch it. That's what $60 a month wifi service boils down to in the Caribbean.

One of those web series The Guild, I'd heard great things about is on DVD and we're watching season two. It's a great show and it's fun. Having it on DVD is a nice addition to the library and we're looking forward to seasons 3, 4, 5, and further.

Listening to the Boxmasters (Billy Bob's band)

So it goes...