Saturday, November 05, 2011

Looking like Billy the Kid might be silly but the alternative can be a lot worse...

On Florida not exactly being a cruisers paradise, record profits while pleading poverty, and proof positive that there are idiots in office up there in Wisconsin.

As a skier, climber, and slinger of flies, the whole neck gaiter/bandana thing for sun protection is somewhat old hat because they've been part of those scenes forever, but it has come to my attention that what we now call "Buffs" are quite the fashion statement for folks riding bikes, power walking, and even (yes, dear reader) sailing...

Unlike a lot of fads having to do with fashion, there is a lot to be said for the neck gaiter/bandana/buff thing because it fulfills a lot of needs... and when speaking of needs related to sailing, it's keeping the whole UV stuff at bay.

The very worst sunburn I've ever had was in a very odd place... Humping loads across a glacier in Alaska for a climb of Denali, I had taken Don Whillians' advice and instead of getting in shape for the climb, beforehand I had upped my intake of beer and comfort foods so that I would be about fifteen pounds over my normal climbing weight which, the theory went, I'd lose on the approach and the ferrying gear stage of the climb. It sorta/kinda worked, as carrying big loads gets you in shape fast but Don never told me about the pain of it all. A good portion of that load carrying at altitude had me gasping like an old man with a three pack a day habit and my constantly gasping caused me to get a horrible sunburn on the roof of my mouth. Talk about nasty...


Ever since for such silliness I go the balaclava, neck gaiter or Billy the kid look with the bandana because I never ever want that to happen again.

The "Buff" seems like a good product and they have some way cool patterns and suchlike dedicated to us folks who like to fish, but then your cheap over-sized basic bandana fulfills the needful pretty well and is a heck of a lot cheaper. Speaking of bandanas, one very cool bandana  looks just the thing if you feel the need to make a statement of the political sort...


Plus, you never know when those helpful hints about tear gas might come in handy...

Listening to Rod Stewart

So it goes...