Sunday, September 18, 2011

On how the words "need" and "want" are not really interchangeable...

An out of the box look at the jobs problem, GDP or GNH (I know which one gets my vote!), and has it really been forty-one years?

Several Boat Bits readers seem to be having trouble with my use of the English language and the words "need" and "want" in particular. So, it would seem, a bit of an English lesson is in order...

Let's start with the word "need". For instance, I often find myself saying to myself "I need this guitar".


For those astute observers of guitar awesomeness, yes it is a 1960 Les Paul Standard and, to steal a quote from old blue eyes, 1960 was a very, very good year... So good in fact, that if you'd like to buy this little puppy it will set you back $150,000.00 and change...

Like I said, I often find myself saying I "NEED" this guitar... Sigh.

Truth is, while I'd love to own this guitar and as much as I'd love to actually need it, I simply want and lust for it...

Of course, I really do need a six-string electric guitar but the one I happen to own and play does exactly what I need and while not exactly an inexpensive guitar as things go, it certainly is cheap in comparison to the wonderfulness that is the 1960 Les Paul Standard...


For those unfamiliar with Gumbyesque guitars, it is a Guild Thunderbird and kicks no small amount of ass... The thing is, when I take a step back for my purposes the Guild is a much better guitar than the 1960 Les Paul Standard because it is an awesome guitar in its own right and unlike the Les Paul I can actually play it... Face it, if I had a $150,000,00. guitar the last thing I'd do is play it... It would be in an armored glass case with a nitrogen atmosphere to protect it from even the possibility of a single scratch and, as such, hardly a guitar at all...

So, while I may "want" the 1960 Les Paul Standard, I certainly don't "need" it because the guitar I need is one that does the job that I can play...

The key words in all this is you "need" something that does the job and not something you "want".

It works the same in sailboat stuff as it does with guitars...

Just saying.

Listening to Balmorhea

So it goes...


PS. If you actually happen to need the 1960 Les Paul Standard you can buy it at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville...