Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's a warranty worth...

I know I go on and on about simplicity...

Recently a marine electronics company with much fanfare and ballyhoo has upgraded their warranty to three years. I have not had a chance to read said warranty and its fine print but if it reads anything like previous warranties I have been up close and personal with, it may just be a lot of smoke and mirrors. Truth be told, I'd much rather see them tell us how their gear is simpler, user-serviceable, and tougher, rather than when it craps out they "may" fix it for a longer period of time if the fine print does not get in the way.

Face it, if you are a thousand miles from the nearest approved warranty service center, that improved warranty is simply a piece of useless paper and you are on your own...

In the like minds department, over at Attainable Adventure Cruising they wax poetic on the subject of cruise tough and simple... Give them a read!