Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Seriously nuts...

Johnson Marine has come out with a pretty good idea in the form of a jack-line fairlead. Not that it's much of an original idea as sailors have been attaching their jack-lines to the standing rigging long before Columbus set sail...

But, I'll be the first to admit that the product is a rather clean design which is simply an eye that clamps to a stay and enables folks to avoid a bit of thought in doing it on their own. When I come to think of it, not a heck of a lot of thought, as there are many ways to attach a jack-line or additional life-line to a stay and most of them able to be done for a few dollars (my choice being a simple grommet or loop done up prusik fashion). That said, I prefer my jack-lines as close to the centerline as possible and leave outboard lines on stays as simply an extra handhold if needful.

I am also a little leery of things stainless that clamp to shrouds and stays though, as it produces a place for water and salt to collect and become yet another place to inspect for crevice corrosion... Having lost a rig not that long ago color me a little paranoid. In all future boats I sail on whatever is holding up the mast I want to be visible to inspection without having spots that need to be disassembled to check. Trust me, mast-fall-down-go-boom really sucks!

Want to know what else sucks? This simple clamp on eye is priced at around $169... and you need TWO! This scene from "Used Cars" pretty much says everything that needs to be said about that...