Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Not the right tool two step...

I have gone on record more than a couple of times that multi-tools are more often than not the wrong tool for every job. Truth be told, I still think that is an apt description...

To answer the question on whether I have or use a multi-tool from time to time, the answer is yes. While never the right tool, they do come in handy. The thing is that I am not so much against multi-tools in general but I do find the current silly pricing of Leathermen and Gerber off-putting. For the most part, cheap Chinese $7.99 knockoffs do the same thing (that being the wrong tool for every job) just as well.

The other day I was checking out a Stanley that looked good and had everything I'd want with the exception of a serrated knife blade and, for less than $13, not so problematic when you drop it overboard...

Of course, it has all the faults of multi-tools but it is well built, stainless, and with the exception of a serrated blade, pretty much all the wrong tools I'd care to pack in a pocket. By the way, did I say it was cheap?

On the other hand, I came across another multi-tool by Smith and Wesson and damn if it did not have a serrated blade and is even cheaper than the Stanley... Yowza!  Just the wrong tool for every job that I want and it's less than $10!


Actually I'm buying a couple of the S&W's because I know exactly how it is when you drop one overboard...