Friday, March 26, 2010

A Pinky of note... "Time of Wonder"

I've always liked Pinky schooners and Ted Brewer's  "Time of Wonder" is one which I keep coming back to...

It's a great design and avoids the "looking-like-a-theme-park" problem which some full dress schooners fall prey to in the under fifty-foot bracket.

At under fifty-foot, it is also quite handy for a couple as no one sail is more than I'd care to raise with a bit of simple mechanical aid whether block and tackle or a manual winch, which is one of the great advantages of a split rig.

Pinkies are the stuff of legend in terms of sea-keeping and heavy weather going and you'd have to look long and hard for a better go anywhere boat...

Way back when, when I first looked at this plan I was not so enamoured with the interior but as time goes by the living arangement has really grown on me... It makes a lot of sense when you consider that you could really LIVE in a boat like this.

For me the only drawback of this design is just that kiss too much draft at 6'3" making the waterways of Europe a bit problematic. I'd be all over this design if the draft could get down to 5'5"! That said, since most of the ballast for "Time of Wonder" is interior it would be no great problem to make part of it fluid ballast (water) and for a canal stint simply pump the excess overboard till back in open water...

Hmmmm...