Thursday, January 14, 2010

The conundrum of boating education...

To say that I am not a huge fan of what passes for boating education these days is something of an understatement... But I'll be honest and say that I really don't have a clue on how it should be done other than making it a profit based paper chase would not do anything but make it worse.

Luckily, other brighter minds have given the subject some thought and a really good place to start might be "Saving Sailing" by Nicholas Hayes which makes all kinds of sense.

One of our favorite blogs "Zero to Cruising" is spending their winter taking a class or two in the frozen north and it has been interesting getting the perspective of a couple of motivated newbies who are more than ready to get cruising...

Lectronic Latitude yesterday also had an interesting take on boating education in their "Donzi Mayhem at Sam's"...

Like I said, I don't have a clue what the answer to the question is, but I do agree that some form of education is needful whether it be Dads teaching their kids or local community programs or some other format... I do know I'd love to hear what the Boat Bits readers think.