Thursday, July 02, 2009

My diesel mechanic says electric propulsion sucks...

The other day I got that message from a reader...

When you think about it, it's hardly surprising that the internal combustion posse would be less than enthused about electric propulsion. If I made my living repairing people's diesel engines and drive trains I'm sure I would not be the biggest booster of electric propulsion solutions as I'd have an agenda.

Keep that in mind when someone is offering advice!

Just for the record I do have an agenda as well and while its not about "money" in my pocket I see electric propulsion as a very good thing for some sailors and I'm stoked and enthused. I realize EP is not for everyone but I think folks should make up their own minds on the subject and need real info to work it out. Real info so you can make that choice is my agenda...

One of the best parts of electric propulsion is how little there is to go wrong and how easy it is to fix or replace problematic bits when it does. Bringing repair and maintenance within the skill set of all but the most ham fisted tyros. Throw in the fact that replacing a motor (if needful) costs less than most "small" diesel repairs and it gets even more attractive.

Spares being both cheap and light... The Mars motor used by Electric Yacht in my system only weighs 36 pounds and as it is available for around $500 you could find space and budget for a spare motor if you planned to be sailing the Ultima thule!