Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My Place in the Food Chain 1.5

I was watching the spearfishing show "Ocean Hunters" on ESPN the other day while in line to get a burger and the thing that caught my attention was just how over gunned the talent was using big guns for less than BIG fish. Which made me wonder just at what point do you jump to a bigger gun...

As you may have guessed I like minimal and simple...Pole spears make a lot of sense as do Slings but force the hunter to get up close and personal to the fish and this is no bad thing as it gives you the skills to get close to the big fish when you go with band guns.

Back when I was younger and dumber there was bugger all available to spear fishers in the form of decent guns...These days there are so many it is simply mind boggling. A lot of people have put a lot of thought and serious quality craftsmanship into gear that works. In the old days a gun that you could depend on was not always what you might be using...

Once I get out of the Caribbean (can you SPELL P.. A.. C.. I ..F ..I ..C?) which is becoming more and more spear unfriendly there will be a couple of new guns in the quiver but for the moment My Rob Allen Railgun is more than up to the Open water stuff I do though I have been seriously thinking about upgrading the muzzle with the Hammerhead when it is time to replace my current bands as they have a nice deal on a new muzzle and bands ...Which the way that bands rot out down here in the tropics will be sooner rather than later! On the other hand their new Evolution spear guns are so cheap...