Monday, September 19, 2005

FEIN & DANDY TOOL

For anyone considering a boat project you really should take a look at the Fein Multimaster. Frankly, I am not sure how I managed to build three cruising boats and an untold number of dinghies without this puppy. While I bought it mainly as a sander to get into those difficult corners and such, the various sawblades have come out as the most used attachments. The ability to make precise cuts in hard to get at places is alone worth the cost of admission. For the Loose Moose 4/4/4 I'll buy another of these and have one setup for sanding and the other for blades and would expect the setup to trim at least a couple of weeks off the building schedule!

In my current dinghy project, yesterday I figured I saved an hour of labor in trimming various plywood bits in comparison to the way I use to do it (plane flush).

The downside is that the blades are a bit fragile so a light touch is called for and when it comes time to replace them (you will) they are a tad pricey.

Fein Multimaster Variable Speed