Sunday, March 06, 2022

a revised design...

EBM points out that a shortwave receiver might come in handy, all kinds of wrong, and in the "Not so deep cover Russian assets" department...

Revision is not a trait you see all that often in sailboat design. While a designers new design may include learned lessons from a previous design, the act of going back and making an older design better is fairly rare.

A sad fact when you consider the 20/20 view that hindsight enables.

The other day while looking at Bernd Kohler's website I noticed that he'd revised his Duo 1000 catamaran design...


 

Bernd had this to say about his changes...

"An update of my DUO 1000 design. Building a boat is a nice and satisfying experience. But sailing the result is more fun. So I improved the boat so far that over 200 pieces less are necessary and to be built. I changed from the biplane rig to a single mast rig for cost reasons."

Excising two hundred pieces of a design is a fairly serious revision. One that I find quite exciting and would love to study the revised plans to see just what Mr Kohler changed and the why of it. I expect I'd learn a lot in the process.

As a builder of boats myself, there is not a single build that I have not sat back after the boat was launched and made a list of what I would have done differently if building the design again. Except for dinghies I have not had the luxury of building with hindsight in total but what I have learned does become a big part of my boat-building evolution.

Listening to Kristin Diable

So it goes..