Wednesday, January 19, 2022

a couple of quick thoughts on boat kits...

This had me knocking my head against a bulkhead, the current trend in school health practices, and in the "Just another asshole" department...

I'm not a huge fan of building kit boats as the added cost of a "kit" seldom seems to save that much in terms of labor. Sure, those CNC cut panels are nifty but I find that  the lofting and cutting of wood is pretty easy and (dare I say it?) enjoyable.

Then again, if someone found a way to make the epoxy and glass work part of boat building superfluous I'd certainly consider changing my mind.

The one good point about boat building kits is not so much their labor saving but simply the fact that the idea of a boat in a box is a very attractive concept. Chasing down all of the required materials these days is a royal pain in the ass so at least there's that advantage.

Listening to Boz Scaggs

So it goes...