Thursday, November 03, 2022

a new dodger/dogger project...

Why a windfall tax makes sense, something about kittens on campus, and about that ocean on Mars...

Quite a while back I built a hard dodger for So It Goes which worked quite well and held up through several hurricanes (including three Cat five storms) but somehow never quite scratched the itch of the dodger I wanted to build.

The problem seemed to be that I was caught between two different dodgers the first being a snug weatherproof dodger that would protect in all but the worst weather and conditions. The other was a minimal structure protecting the companionway and give whoever was on watch a place to get out of the elements but still allow good visibility.

The dodger I built was somewhere between the the two and, as such, was a compromise that never quite filled my want list.

That said, the hard dodger was much better than any fabric dodger in my experience as well as being a whole lot cheaper and bombproof.

So, since I'm just about to build a new nesting dinghy that uses about two and a half sheets of plywood, the idea comes to mind to build a new dodger of the minimal sort with the extra half sheet surplus the the new dinghy's requirements.

Some time ago Practical Boat Owner had a neat minimal dodger that looked like a contender and a friend sent me a couple of pictures of a reasonable facsimile dodger on a R2AK boat. So, since I'll have a half sheet of plywood to play with...

 
 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Listening to Cowboy Mouth

So it goes...