Friday, December 17, 2021

It's that time of year again...

The threat of coastal landfills, a very bad report card, and where COVID is concerned best to stay paranoid...

One of the sailing magazines who sends me email mentioned a slew of Christmas gifts for sailors and, as expected, it pissed me off as their choices were all high-ticket items.

So, to balance out things for the non-consumerist who read my drivel, here's what I'd suggest instead...

The first item on the list was a watch and they suggested two. One cost $1,850 and the other would set you back a measly $100-$250 or so. Way too expensive for my tastes. As an alternative I recommend the Casio F-91W. It is an excellent timepiece often used for celestial navigation (Starpath includes it as part of their GPS Backup Kit) and the watch costs less than 20 bucks.

The second item on their list was a PFD and tether. Which, in my opinion, is a horrible gift. PFDs in general are a very personal item and, if it does not sync with your tastes, it won't get worn. I've given up on inflatables and have come to the conclusion that the best bet for sailing folk are the inexpensive sort designed for kayak folk. As far as tethers go, I'd give the sailor in question some line, a couple of carabiners, and a link on how to make a Brummel splice.

The third item was a satellite communication device which is a lot more money than most of the people I know give as gifts. Nothing wrong with the item in question but how about an extra winch handle?

Seriously, everyone needs an extra winch handle.

The next item on the list was new foul weather gear. I've gone on record before that most of the foul weather gear available is pretty awful and not up to the job. These days the only foulies I recommend is the cheap stuff used by commercial fisherfolk which might not be as hip and fashionable but does allow you to work while wearing it and keep you dry. Since I'm ranting on this particular subject, whose bright idea was it to start doing BLACK foul weather gear?

The last item was a yacht charter. Now, as someone who actually has a charter business, you’d think I’d be all over that in a big way. The current price of bareboat charters down here in the Caribbean could buy someone a pretty nice, classic plastic sailboat. Which would you prefer: a week in paradise or a boat you could use all year?

Just sayin'...

Listening to some Christmas covers

So it goes...