Sunday, December 19, 2021

Big shoes to fill...

Someone I'm rooting for, a very good point, and a different way of telling time...

It’s been twelve years since Phil Bolger died. His passing left a gaping hole in the realm of sailboat design; a vacuum that has yet to be filled. I mention this because people like Bolger have a much greater influence than you might think and set an example that is both pervasive and important. I still miss Phil and the world of sailboat design really needs someone to replace him.

James Wharram died this week, leaving another void in the world of boat design. As far as I can see, no one is standing in the wings to take his place.

Not that there is a shortage of talented designers floating about. There are many, but few with the sort of grounded common sense and vision that made Wharram and Bolger stand out.

Too many designers are, to steal from a song, dedicated followers of fashion. They apply their considerable talents to whatever is currently in vogue. If condomarans or cattlemarans are in style, that’s what they’ll design. Now, I’m sure they’re designing great condo/cattlemarans but what about the folks who want or need something different?

How many designers actually listen to the people they are designing for?

A long time ago, I commissioned a cruising design and having the boat designed turned into something of a nightmare. The fundamental problem was that the designer never quite listened to what I said I wanted. In hindsight, he had a picture of what he thought I wanted mixed in with what he thought others would want. The ultimate design became something I hated and, I suspect, he did as well.

Not too long ago, I was reading a description of a design for an “affordable” cruising boat that included a plethora of systems* that made the boat fairly expensive; just the opposite of the affordable design brief. Or maybe the designer's definition of inexpensive is just a whole lot different than mine.

Bolger and Wharram both were often targets of derision by many. It takes a special fortitude to weather that sort of criticism and continue along one’s chosen path. Most designers I follow these days take the path of least resistance. Seriously, when did you last see a designer publishing a new design that shocked or outraged anyone?

Maybe it’s more than time for a bit of scandalization, shock, and (dare I say it?) awe.

Which is why I still miss Phil and losing James Wharram has left me gutted as they were both voices in the wilderness that were and are very much needed. The important question is who is going to take their place?

James Wharram in 1953

Listening to Sara Watkins

So it goes... 

*If anyone out there knows of a source for affordable carbon spars and lithium batteries please let me know.