Sunday, October 31, 2021

A couple of climatic thoughts...

EBM with a very good question, some new USPS fuckery, and in the "more politics than sport" department...

It just occurred to me that I have not driven a car, truck, or motorcycle in over forty years which. to me at least, was something of a surprise.

Even more surprising is that not driving was actually trauma free. When I mention to folks that I don't drive most tend to react like I'd had a double amputation and cannot conceive of how anyone could possibly survive without burning copious amounts of fuel to go to the corner store or drive to the park so they can ride their bikes.

Now I'll admit to the fact that I quit driving when I lived in Paris and there was little reason to drive because the bus, metro and train system was excellent and took me pretty much anywhere I wanted to go quickly and cheaply. Visiting elsewhere in Europe was pretty much the same so why would I even think of saddling myself with the cost and hassle of owning a car?

Of course, the US of A is different and not having lived in the states for over forty years I have been spared the poor transit situation where a car is a needful part of the everyday work day. Still, I have worked on various films throughout the US and found that most of the places I worked that not driving was still pretty much a non-problematic affair. Then again, I like to walk, bike, and I actually enjoy taking buses, subways, and trains.

Which has bugger all to do with sailing or cruising but the whole fossil fuel thing is a serious problem and as someone who has managed to keep a very low carbon footprint I thought it would not hurt to point out that using less fossil fuels is a lot easier than you might think and can actually improves your day to day life. 

I didn't quit driving for a climatic or political reason but just found that not driving was just a better way to live for me. On the other hand, your mileage might vary...

Listening to an album's worth of Go-Go's covers

So it goes...