Tuesday, August 03, 2021

What stuff costs ongoing....

Some depressing penguin news, a basketball player of note, and in the "Someone should have come up with this years ago" department...

So, the other day, I found myself at the local Ace hardware in search of four 8mm machine nylok nuts so I could reinstall a couple of cleats at the stern of "So It Goes". The good news is they had the nuts but the bad news was that they cost $1.19 a pop!

Seriously, is that batshit crazy or what?

Once back aboard I checked my normal supplier of fastenings to see that their price was $0.15 which a a heck of a difference. If I were to buy a sack of a hundred they'd cost $10.32 which brings the price down to just about $0.10.

Ten cents makes a heck-of-a-lot -of-sense over a buck nineteen!

Face it, boat projects always cost more than we want them to but buying stuff from folks who are gouging at the levels I keep running into is just stupid and it makes all kinds of sense to invest in a supply of the most used bolts, screws, and nuts as it will save you a lot of money and even more importantly it will also save you a lot of time.

By the way, Bolt Depot is really good at shipping quickly and affordably as the various bolts, nuts and other various fasteners I needed for my current self-steering build were shipped within an hour of placing the order and in our hands down here in the Caribbean within three days.

Listening to Los Lobos covering the Beach Boys

So it goes...