Sunday, August 01, 2021

Someone who will be missed...

Some straight talk, a very good point, and what's going on in Greenland...

Reading the current copy of Caribbean Compass I saw an obituary for Paul Johnson a designer/boatbuilder/sailor of double-enders of the Colin Archer variety. I've always admired his Venus designs...

 

As far as I know he's the only designer who used T-section booms and gaffs and I always wanted to ask him whether it was his invention or if he'd borrowed the idea from someone else. I first read about T-section booms and yards in Fred Bingham's "Practical Yacht Joinery" which, to me at least, made all kinds of sense. However, the only T-section booms or gaffs I've seen on actual boats have been on various Paul Johnson designs and boats I've built for myself.

There's a great article about Paul Johnson in Cruising World by Fatty Goodlander that is well worth reading.

Listening to Kilo Bravo

So it goes...