Wednesday, November 18, 2020

A quick thought about small projects and fixing tools...

A very scary number, a bit of literary trivia, and in the "Bad decisions have bad outcomes" department...

Yesterday I had something that needed fixing and, as I had the perfect tool for the job, I expected it to be a very quick fix.

Have you ever noticed that there is no such thing as a quick fix where boats are concerned? Especially when you've said the words...

"It'll be a quick fix!"

When I got the tool out I proceeded to put a new sanding belt on and noticed that there was not enough tension to keep the belt on. "Not a problem" I said to myself all I have to do is to take the tool apart free up the mechanism put it back together and then I can get to do the quick fix.

Of course, while taking it apart it was easy to see what the problem was and all I needed to do was to free up the spring shoot in some WD-40 and I'd be back in business.

Now springs are wonderful things but it's always a good thing to remember that they can store a shitload of energy when compressed. I even said to myself "be careful with this little sucker because it'll want to go walkies" and so took steps to keep an eye on preventing just such an occurrence.

I should have been a bit more careful but who'd have known that the little spring in question would have enough energy to shoot straight up into the stratosphere not unlike a SpaceX rocket on steroids.

The quick fix has not been accomplished and today, no doubt, will be spent trying to source part #6307-043 or reasonable facsimile.

On the positive side I am very impressed with the Wen manual and exploded diagram that they have for the sander and wish I had the same sort of documentation for all of my tools.

Lastly, I'll hazard a guess that the errant spring will re-enter the the atmosphere some time after the not-so-quick-fix is finished.

Listening to boygenius

So it goes...