Wednesday, December 12, 2018

on why knitting needles make sense...

A noteworthy program, some obvious common sense, and a bit of needful perspective...

The other day I was looking through my overflowing rigging bag and noticed I really needed a couple of fids in the bigger-than-I-normally-use department on the off chance that I might need to splice some bigger than normal dynex. Being prepared is, more often than not, a goodly thing.

Since I use Selma fids and D-splicers for most of my dyneema work I decided a bigger Selma or two should do the trick.

Like this one...

 
That said, while I do truly admire the Selma fids I'd forgotten that they were kind of silly expensive and a 1/2" fid would run me over $20 or so.

A $20+ dollar fid does not bring a smile to Mr Cheapseats.

I could get Sampson aluminum fids which are nearly as good in most ways and somewhat better in a couple but they cost between $10 to $15 which is a lot to be paying for what boils down to a single knitting needle.


As it happens I already have quite a few small knitting needles in my rigging kit already...

Which had me looking up the cost of aluminum knitting needles in the 1/2" and 5/8" zone only to find that a pair of 1/2" needles and a pair of 5/8" needles together would cost less than a single Sampson fid.

I'm pretty sure you can do the math.

Listening to a Scottish playlist

So it goes...