Wednesday, December 05, 2018

cheap horsepower...

A visual aid to the madness, another threat to democracy, and the question I ask myself everyday...

I was persusing AliBaba the other day and came across a bunch of dirt cheap diesel engines .

Seriously cheap like this one.


What's not to like about a new water-cooled 10HP diesel engine for $400?

That's cheaper than what Volvo gets for some gaskets...

Sure it's old tech but old tech diesel engines tend to be work horses that run forever and are easy to fix when they do have problems. The fact is that an engine like this would make a whole lot of sense for a variety of boat designs if one had some basic mechanical licks and an open mind...

Hey, it even a hand starter!

Admittedly, 10HP is small by current standards. Of course, me being an old fart who still thinks that that Colvin's "One HP per ton" advice continues to make sense I'd be all over this if I were building a sharpie or VolksCruiser design.

Listening to birthday boy Southside Johnny (and the Jukes of course!) who just hit the big 70

So it goes...