Saturday, November 03, 2018

for those with little interest in titanium chainplates...

Profits over care, clear priorities, and in the "How to spend $100K of taxpayers money in six hours or less" conundrum department...

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen"
                                                      -John F. Kennedy

Once, a very, very long time ago, someone a lot smarter than I was told me that the secret to doing anything on a budget is to organize one's affairs in a manner that minimized needed expenses.

Pretty simple advice as it happens but, the fact is, it's pretty solid when all is said and done and I've never come across a situation where the advice was not apt.

Even where boats are concerned.

Over the last few weeks I have been thinking a lot about rigs, rigging, and other associated tech while I researched a couple of cunning plans that have been keeping me up at night. One thing I noticed was there was bugger all information about on how to do things for less and a positive cornucopia of information on how to spend more.

You might say there's a trend...

The thing is, where rigs and rigging are concerned there is a pretty much established way to do things and not much incentive for most folks to look outside the box or go back to a clean sheet of paper to redesign with the idea of getting rid of excess expense. Sadly, I'll add that being lazy I'm guilty of this myself.

On the other hand, there appears to be no shortage of folks designing ever more expensive improvements to rigs and rigging because there is a positive inducement of a payday and profit in the mix but I'm inclined to believe that profit is seldom a positive force where design is concerned.

So, I have some thoughts, a blank sheet of paper, and some time on my hands...

Time to make something happen.

Listening to Jim James

So it goes...