Thursday, July 19, 2018

a really nice boat...

Something that might bring a smile, Dorworth getting to the basic question, and what's going on in some places...

A climbing gear company that sends me mail from time to time used a term the other day that resonated with me like a tuning fork...

Tradical

Which, I suppose, is a clever way of saying Traditional + Radical and whether clever or not it did catch my attention and I think it works pretty well.

Where boats are concerned the collective "we" seems to have devolved into two groups, the first being all about progress and the second being those of the "If it ain't broke there's no reason to fix it" because, you know, tradition mindset.

Now, it's been pointed out me on numerous occasions that I'm an opinionated asshole where things boat are concerned and (yes dear reader) hardly surprising that I have an opinion on both camps in this horse race.

Both groups have their heads up their asses.

For instance, take the new Crabber...

I'm sure one camp will be scandalized that it sports a carbon fiber mast while the other side will be offended that it has a gaff rig, doesn't have a wing mast, and the ability to foil.

Me, I see it as just more evolution in a positive direction of a good boat (it is the MK 5 after all) and while I'm just a bit disappointed that it does not also sport a carbon gaff (which is a pretty obvious upgrade to my mind) it is a pretty awesome boat and tradical as all get out. Spars aside, there are a lot of other neat details in the new design worth studying so really a boat to check out.

Listening to five good covers

So it goes...