Thursday, June 07, 2018

George Buehler is no longer with us...

Some evolution in thought, a summer reading list, and in the "Dumb as a sack of hammers and we are so fucked" department...

I just read in the new WoodenBoat that George Buehler passed away back in February and I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of a boat design world without him and what that means.

Melquiades the Buehler design I've always wanted to build


On one level, George was perceived by many as something of a dream merchant and not always in a good way. That said, I don't know any successful designers of sailboats who do not qualify as sellers of dreams because it just goes with the territory.

Maybe what made Buehler different is he was more of an equal opportunity dream merchant both  upfront and unapologetic that his boats were designed for folks on a budget.

Personally, I both loved and hated some of his designs and often disagreed with some of his thoughts on design and construction. Then again, I can also say that about most designers of boats I respect because no one gets it right 100% of the time and if you're not making some mistakes you're not evolving or getting better.

The bottom line is George got it right somewhat more than he got it wrong and that's a record anyone should be proud of. He was also a nice guy and never took himself too seriously.

He'll be missed.

I suspect that folks (like these) with dreams larger than their bank accounts will continue to build his boats and sail of into the sunset and, when you think of it, that's a pretty good legacy.

Listening to Glen Hansard

So it goes...