Tuesday, May 30, 2017

the current test...

A must read from Wendig, regarding something you may have missed, and some boats you may be unacquainted with...

So, here's the thing... A while back I bought a spool of Samson 3/8" rope for $79. A quick look at the cost tells me that's just a kiss over $0.13 a foot which is seriously cheap. A similar rope in terms of strength/stretch from Samson at West Marine goes for $0.89 a foot which, for a marine rope, is actually pretty cheap but $0.13 is cheaper still. That 600-feet of rope will more than cover the running rigging needs on "So It Goes" with 100' left over.

A whole boats worth of running rigging for less than $79...

Obviously, the Samson rope I bought is not in their sailing catalog but from their commercial fishing line. I won't mention just which rope until I have been able to test it for a reasonable amount of time to see how it holds up and performs. That said, my first impressions of the rope is it has a nice feel, it splices easily once you learn its tricks, and it looks just like what you'd expect a quality marine rope to look like.

Worst case scenario is I'll be out $79 and wind up with a lifetime supply of dinghy painters.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Listening to some Chris Cornell covers/tributes

So it goes...