Thursday, May 04, 2017

On learning new stuff...

Some needful reading on contraction, the crime of laughter, and in the "Not a joke anymore" department...

So, yesterday, I tried a new bit of splicing/ropework. The results were, being generous, fugly.

To be truthful, while I enjoy splicing, almost always my initial learning curve is of the rather steep variety and I long ago learned to never expect my first try to be usable or pretty. I mostly find that it takes a couple of tries to get it right and competence does not kick in till #3.

Which sorta/kinda brings me to the old boatbuilding adage...

"You build your first boat for your worst enemy, the second for a friend, and the third for yourself..."

Maybe I should gift yesterday's splice to  Herr tRump.

There's always a learning curve and, face it, if you're not making mistakes you're not learning anything. That being the case, with the number of mistakes I make I must be frelling brilliant.

Listening to Mass of the Fermenting Dregs

So it goes...