Tuesday, January 10, 2017

some advantages of simplicity...

The con artist getting conned, today in the "I'm not all that sure that being someone's bitch is what I'd call a good relationship" department, and the word for today (as well as the foreseeable future) is TRUMP'd...

Yesterday I was reading an excellent post by Webb Chiles which talked about being a certain age and sailing... A subject that I tend to ponder a lot more these days.

Meanwhile, I noticed that Cruisers forum has a thread on how to adapt to being an old fart but was disappointed by its content which seemed to be either get a trawler or to simply throw money at it. Well to be honest there was someone saying eating better might be the answer... Not much of the downsize and simplify anywhere to be seen.

Which sorta/kinda brings me around to the next boat and why it's so small A big part of the reasoning is a small boat is less expensive to build, outfit, and cruise with. Then there's the fact that a small shoal draft boat can pretty much always find a spot to anchor where bigger boats fear to tread. Lastly, another part of the equation is a smaller boat is just easier to sail and maintain.

All the needful in a small package


The phrase "Small boat, small problems" really is true.

On the other hand, a small complicated boat winds up being expensive (which I could live with) as well as becoming prone to the sort of problems that electric/hydraulic systems without a manual option tend to engender (which I just don't want to deal with).

The fact is, while I can deal with a 66-pound anchor now with a manual windlass I'm not so sure that I'll be able to do so 10 (or even 5) years from now. Getting older sorta/kinda sucks but if you keep it in mind while making decisions you can make the most of it... Color me embracing the reality and just being proactive. Which, I hope, makes me that opinionated old dude ten years from now who still anchors under sail and not "That guy" who can't leave an anchorage because of an electrical fault in his windlass.

Just saying...

Listening to the Marcus King Band

So it goes...